Defensive Handgun 1
The goal of the “Defensive Handgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, several types of handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A student new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning many skills that are critical in the use of a firearm – in this case a handgun – to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Handgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to handguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
A number of topics will be covered in “Defensive Handgun 1 – Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Handgun”. These include but are not limited to:
· Safe handling of your firearm.
· Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
· Basic components of a Double Action Revolver.
· Basic components of a Semi-Automatic Pistol
· Operation of a Double– Action Revolver
· Operation of a Single and a Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol.
· Working with A Natural Defensive Stance
· 2-Handed and Single-Handed Engagements
· Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
· Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
· Clearing Common Pistol Stoppages
· Progressive Shooting Drills
· Definition of Cover and Concealment
· Use of Cover
· Selecting a Pistol and Ammunition
· A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (Semi-automatic Highly Recommended)
· Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
· Strong Side Holster – For safety reasons on the range our classes will use Strong Side Holsters only! - (No cross draws, shoulder rigs, pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry). No nylon holsters, all holsters must cover the trigger guard.
· No pocket guns such as Ruger LCP etc. You will be presenting the gun from your strong side holster and reholstering repeatedly. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
· Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9mm or above.
· 200 Rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only.
· Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
· Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
· Comfortable clothing.
· Hydration system or Bottled water.
· Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
· Long Pants, Shirts with Higher Collar, Sturdy Belt, Baseball Cap
Course length is a full day, typically 8-10 hours including a 1-hour lunch break. There are short breaks throughout both the classroom session and shooting range drills.